One morning on my way into work, I saw this little microwave cart on the side of the road, I thought to myself do I really need another project?? I drove past it but then decided to turn around and grab it, I guess I figured I was up for a challenge. I thought it had potential. I loved the scalloped edges on the top and bottom. My mind began a tickin’ and I thought hmmmmmm…how about re-purposing this as a coffee bar??? So, after a few months ( yup I think I have been working on this for months) I finally finished it . Every project seems to take a long time these days. Between the kids, my job, trying to keep the house clean ( ya right!) and dealing with restaurant stuff my little blog gets pushed to the bottom of the to do list. Anyway, it’s finally finished and here’s how it started.
It was a sad and rickety little piece. I wasn’t crazy about the doors, the faux inlay thingy had to go. First things first I deconstructed it…took off the doors and the back and made it an empty shell.
Then it sat on my front porch for a few weeks until I finally got around to dragging it inside to begin the painting process. I roughed up the “wood” – it’s actually MDF with the laminate type wood overlay – then gave it a good wipe down with a damp cloth. I gave it two solid coats of primer before using two coats of Fusion Mineral Paint in Picket Fence. I have been using this stuff a lot lately ( my little coffee table makeover and this little decoupage stool).
Making Over the Cabinet Door
Now here comes the good stuff. Like I said, I wasn’t crazy about the cabinet doors. I wanted a more simple cottage type style for this coffee bar. I tried to buy used ones at a re-use store but no luck. I got to thinking and decided to turn the doors around and use plywood to make them paneled.
I went to Lowes and bought a piece of plywood.
I asked the sweetest lady at Lowes to cut it down for me into two inch strips. It was very prickly. The Lowes lady was tough, no gloves for her, but it was definitely a job for gloves or my hands would have been full of splinters. Then I measured and cut the strips to fit the back of the cabinet door. I used my miter saw which gave a nice clean cut. They all fit nice and snug so I got out my trusty little brad nailer and went to town nailing the wood in place. I do most of my work in my kitchen.
A Funny Story!
So this is a good one…I nailed the plywood down and when I went to pick up the cabinet door, they wouldn’t move because… I nailed the damn thing down to my freaking floor….bahahahaha!!!! It’s the same flooring I used for my bathroom re-do, peel and stick groutable vinyl tiles. I pried it off with a little elbow grease and now I have tiny little holes in my kitchen floor. They are hardly noticeable, I guess.
After a little wood filler and a whole lot of sanding priming and painting…I attached them to the cabinet shell with some outside hinges. Then gave it all a few coats of polycrylic from Minwax. I wanted it to have a nice hard outer coating since I planned on using it for a coffee bar and inevitably spills will happen.
The Finishing Touch
I used a piece of bead board wallpaper ,which I had left from my bathroom re-do, as a backing. It was already for COFFEE!!!
Awwwww, isn’t it cute!!! I was really impressed on how this little honey was brought back and given a new life as a cottage style coffee bar! I am off to enjoy a hot cup of COFFEE! I hope you have a happy week!
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook to keep up with all my little DIY’s.