So school is back in full force. My little little has taken to her new school routine like a champ! She looks forward to her school days and cheerfully says bye when I head out the classroom door. Phew! This is not what I experienced with my two boys, they clung and cried and carried on and their transition was rough! So I was thrilled that Sophie is having a blast! With the weather changing and the leaves falling and the kids headed back to school, I figured I needed to get busy on decorating for Fall. So over the weekend, I got a little crafty and made some pumpkins using Mod Podge. Have you ever made a pinata out of a balloon? This was sorta the same gist…I used tissue paper and strips of old book pages to cover little water balloons. They came out really cute but sometimes my photography skills don’t show how cute they are in real life?! All in all it was a super easy projects. The harder part was involving the two kiddo’s, Sophie was my right hand gal and was a very eager helper, while my Alexander was happy to pop the balloons in an attempt to scare his sister. Here goes my little recipe for Mod Podge Pumpkins!
Strips of Tissue Paper
Jute, Flowers, Raffia and Fabric Scraps for decorating the stems
I started by blowing up the balloon and giving it a quick paint job with some diluted Mod Podge ( I just used a little water to thin it out). Then I went to town layering the strips to cover the balloon and painting on the diluted Mod Podge in order to moisten the strips. This is the part Sophie loved and it got really messy…messier than expected. I am a messy crafter but Sophie is a really messy crafter, LOL. When the balloons were covered with paper and a layer of Mod Podge, I tied them on a string of rafia to let them dry overnight. I did not pop the balloon inside because I only used one layer of paper. The balloon seems to provide a solid structure to the pumpkins and helped them keep their shape. I was afraid that popping the balloon would cause it to cave in.
On to the fun part, I gathered some scraps of fabric, raffia, jute and fake flowers to glue on the stems to pretty them up. I wrapped the raffia around the balloon stem and glued or tied my decorations on after. Maybe they look more like gourds than pumpkins but they are “fall-ey” and cute and add a touch of the season to my mantle.
This was a super easy fun little project! I am experimenting with Mod Podge. This is my second project using this stuff, my first was this little wooden stool and so far I like it! Well guys, as always, thanks a bunch for reading my little blog! Please like my facebook page to keep up with all my projects! xoxo